Volume 13

Number 01 January 2023
Cross-Sectional Study to Evaluate Infection in Operation Theater and Difference in Infection Pattern Between Laminar Air Flow and Non-Laminar Air Flow Operation Theaters.

DOI: https://doi.org/10.47648/jswmc2023v13-01-65

*Selina F, Talha KA, Chowdhury NA, Das S, Khatoon M, Hasan MF


This was a cross-sectional study to compare the infection rate between laminar air flow and non-laminar air flow operation theater (OT). This was bi-center study and study places were the OT complexes of Sylhet Women’s Medical College Hospital (SWMCH) and Al Haramain Hospital Pvt. Ltd. of Sylhet. A Total 24 samples were collected from 12 OTs. Air and wall swab both types of samples were collected from each OT. Out of these 12 OTs 4 had laminar air flow system. Half of the air samples (50%) and 8.3% of wall samples were infected, whereas overall organism isolation rate was 29.17%. Among all the infected samples 25% were from laminar air flow OTs and the rest 75% were from non-laminar air flow OTs. Commonest isolated bacteria was staphylococcus epidermidis (62.5%) followed by bacillusspp (25%) and staphylococcus aureus (12.5%). staphylococcus epidermidis was predominantly found in General Surgery, Obstetrics and septic OTs. Distance from entry or toilet did not show any significant difference in infection rate in operation theaters.